Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Obameter

According to PoliFact, from The St. Petersburg Times, Florida, Obama made 500 promises during his campaign. They're keeping track of the 500 they counted. I'm going to put the link on the sidebar of some of my blogs so I can check off and on and keep track of what they're giving him credit for accomplishing.

They've already given him credit for making two of his promises come true. Bush made one happen, but they're giving the credit to Obama simply because it happened. If that's their criteria for giving credit, twenty years from now the Obameter may still be clunking along with items being checked off...

However, I do understand their decision to give it to him. Obama promised shrewdly. He promised something that was gonna happen. And, based on what I've been hearing in recent days as more news comes out about some of the things President Bush laid the groundwork for, I bet President Obama is going to have a few more Bush actions marked as things he accomplishes during his tenure. Politics. Media. Whatever.

In fact, I just took a look at the Obameter a little closer. I had focused on the 2 accomplishments, and overlooked that he was also being given credit for 12 items being "in the works". I didn't read all of them yet, but the ones I read were things happening without his intervention or guidance. Of course, supporters will say that Pelosi, Reid and friends are pushing some of the items because he's now in the hot seat and yes, they can.

It's a new world. Now Presidents are getting credit for things that happened before their watch. Maybe we need to start a Oba-change-meter and keep track of all the things that change over the next four years. Hmmm.... I may just do that!

I'm also going to copy the list and put it in a safe word document somewhere just to save for posterity... I don't know how long it will be up and I don't know if some things will change under pressure.

Here's the link: The Obameter: Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises
http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/promise/503/appoint-at-least-one-republican-to-the-cabinet/

No comments: