Saturday, March 21, 2009

Twitterwhaty?

Twitter what? Whatza twitter? Tweeting? Whatcha talkin' about???

Everyone seems to be talking about Twitter all of a sudden.

There are people who specialize in helping you market your business on Twitter. Most news shows have set up Twitter accounts. Politicians are tweeting to constituents throughout the day keeping them posted on bills, hot button items and where they went for breakfast. There are untold numbers of side applications to make Twitter easier and more manageable.

When I first set my account up on Twitter (Read My Lipstick), it was somewhat daunting. I had a blank page and 140 characters of space I could use to talk to... no one. I found Top Conservatives on Twitter, figured out how to follow some of them and pretty soon my blank screen was a hotbed of activity. Things blipped down the page at unreadable speed.

Luckily one of the first people I followed saw my plea of ignorance and sent me to some Twitter for Dummies type documents.

Now I'm set up on TweetDeck, have my blogs titles and links posting to Twitter and have it set up so everything I tweet pops over to my Facebook account.

I have met some fantastic people and I get news that many never see. It's great to share thoughts with like-minded people across the country and even the world.

When Facebook shut down my conservative account a few days back, the first place I went was to Twitter. A few minutes after I set up my new account and tweeted the name, I started getting friend requests. Twitter friends sent messages to their followers on Twitter and Facebook. What a great group of people and a great conservative community! Pretty soon I was bombarded with friend requests and well on my way back to previous friendship levels.

Today I was scanning through the Georgia Front Page and Fayette Front Page inboxes looking for news to post and came across the following. It just goes to show you how prevalent Twitter is becoming, and how fast they've infiltrated every aspect of our culture! (emphasis in article is mine)

Westin Bonaventure Offers Instant Tax Relief with “U.O.Me” Weekends

Landmark L.A. Hotel to Give Away 200 Weekend Room Nights through April 18,
20 Rooms Reserved for Twitter Users Only

Officials of the Westin Bonaventure today announced the property will be giving away 50 room nights every weekend through April 18, a total of 200 room nights, as part of its “U.O.Me Tax Relief” promotion. Five room nights each weekend will be awarded exclusively through Twitter. The promotion also includes the “Westin Tax Credit,” a coupon given at check-out for 10 percent off dinner at L.A. Prime, the property’s New York-style steakhouse. Winners who book a second consecutive night with the property will receive a 20 percent off coupon to the restaurant.

“In this recessionary climate, several states, including California, had to temporarily delay sending out tax refunds,” said Michael Czarcinski, managing director at the Westin Bonaventure. “While California has now resumed payments, we wanted to help relieve the stress even a temporary suspension may have caused and invite anxious taxpayers nationwide to spend an evening at the Westin. We’ll foot the bill. It’s our form of an in-kind tax refund.”

U.S. residents over 21 years of age can enter to win a “U.O.Me” through Twitter or the Westin Bonaventure website, www.westin.com/bonaventure. Rooms will be given out on a first-come, first-serve basis—the first 45 website entries and the first five tweets will receive a room night. Eligible dates: March 27 and 28 and April 3, 4, 10, 11, 17 and 18. Entries for March 27 and 28 will be accepted between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m. PT, March 17, via the website and Twitter, hashtag #U.O.Me. For all other dates, entries will be accepted between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m. the Tuesday before the desired weekend. Winners can choose to spend Friday or Saturday night based on room availability. All winners must present a form of credit upon check-in for the purposes of incidentals.

No comments: